Wednesday 25 February 2015

Travel with Brittany: Passport Cover DIY

Hi Everyone! 

How are you? I hope you all are doing well! I am back with the first of a DIY Travel segment I would like to do. Today, I'm going to show you how to make your very own Passport cover. 

After a month of searching for one, I still hadn't found one I liked besides one that had to be ordered and wouldn't arrive to my apartment on time. Then, while I was in Walmart with a friend one evening, I found Duct Tape that was Paris themed and that I actually really liked. So I bought the duct tape. A couple days later, the idea to make a Passport Cover hit me. I had made a wallet out of duct tape, so why couldn't I make a passport cover as well? I needed one as I was going to Cancun, so I figured, let's try to! 

What You Need:
-duct tape
-scissors
-black duct tape or electrical tape

Step 1:
Cut three pieces of duct tape and lie them sticky side up on a flat surface. Take one of the pieces and lie it sticky side up overlapping the first piece. Do this with the third piece as well. 

Step 2:
Cut three more pieces and place them on top of the three overlapped pieces, sticky side facing down. Be sure to overlap the second piece to the first piece and the third to the second piece. You should have a double sided sheet laying on the flat surface. 

Step 3:
Next, take a piece of duct tape and fold it in half, putting the sticky sides together.Cut it so that it fits to the edges of each side of the sheet that you made. 

Step 4: 
Take the pieces you just made for either end of the sheet and use the electrical (or duct tape) tape to seal off the edges. Only do this to the edges that will face the middle of the passport holder. Once those have been taped, place them so that they cover the two sides of the inside of the passport holder. Then tape the outside edges. Do the width sides first (shorter length) and then tape the length sides.  Be sure that your passport will be able to be placed inside the two little pockets you have made. [NOTE: you may want to not tape one edge to the sheet of duct tape. If you leave it untaped, you will have an easier time slipping the passport in and out of the holder]. 

When finished, your passport holder will look like this (see picture to the right). It may take a couple tries to get it right but it can be done. It's fairly easy compared to making a wallet. Now all you need to do is slip your passport in it. I found it incredibly easy to spot my passport in my purse while in the airport. 

I hope that you guys enjoyed this first travel DIY. I'm hoping to be posting a few more as I continue travelling. Be sure to post pictures in the comments if you do attempt this project... or leave me the links to your own posts of this project. Until next time, Happy Travelling! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment