Tuesday 10 March 2015

Crafting with Brittany: DIY Blanket Ladder

Hi Everyone! 

Hope you all are doing well today! Today I have an exciting DIY project for you. I am super excited to share this with you. I found it a month ago when I was browsing through Pinterest and having received a few throw blankets for Christmas this year. I also own a few already and they are really taking up a lot of valuable storage space in my linen closet. So why not display them in my living room? On a blanket ladder? So let's get into it shall we?

Things You Need:
-2x4 pieces of wood [x2] (I actually used long stakes for mine. It really is up to you and how thin or thick you would like it to be). 
-2x4 pieces of wood [x1-2] (These are to make the rungs of your ladder. I made six rungs but only needed 5 of them).
-wood screws
-power drill
-sand paper
-sander (if you have one).
-paint or stain (I used Miniwax PolyShades in Classic Black Satin)
-paintbrush
-saw
-pencil 


Step 1:
Take your pieces of wood and take the sander (or sandpaper) and sand down each piece. Make sure it is smooth. You don't want to get any slivers during the making of this beautiful home decor piece. 

Step 2:
Once everything is sanded, set aside the two pieces you are going to use as the rails. Then take the other one or two pieces of wood and measure how long you want each rung to be. This will depend on how wide or narrow you want the ladder to be. 

Step 3:
Once you have measured out and marked how long you want each rung, take your saw and cut on the lines. Once you have cut everything, sand the edges to smooth them out.

Step 4:
Next, take the two rails you set aside and mark where you want the rungs to be on the rails. 

Step 5:
Take your drill, the screws and the rungs and start to screw the first rung in. Repeat this step until all the rungs are screwed in on both sides. Once I finished this, I noticed the ladder was a bit too tall so I had my husband saw off a small portion of the bottom of each rail. 

Step 6:
Next, take your stain and do the first coat of stain (or paint). Let that dry and then do another coat if needed. Let the second coat dry. If you are happy with it, and once it is dry, you can start placing your throw blankets on it. (NOTE: I actually had to do four coats on stain for it to be almost opaque black). 

So that's how to make your very own blanket ladder. It is pretty time consuming but definitely worth it. I love how mine turned out! It looks so good in my living room and definitely helps in de-cluttering with the living room and the linen closet. I hope you enjoyed this post. Leave me pictures or a link to your blog post or video for me to check out! Until next time, Happy Crafting! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment