Wednesday 18 July 2012

Melted Wax Canvas

Hello All! Since I have been slacking, I have a bunch of stuff I have been making to post so I will try to get them all up before the end of this weekend. This one is fairly easy, children could definitely do this; however there is hot gluing involved so it wouldn't hurt for an adult to help with that part.

Things you will need:
- Canvas
-box of crayons (24 or 48 depending on size of canvas)
-garbage bags or newspaper to cover your workspace
-hot glue gun and glue sticks
-hair dryer

Step 1:
First pick the colors you want to include on your canvas. I bought a box of 24 crayons and chose all but the brown crayon. I was going for a rainbow type effect so I didnt think brown would look good in the scheme of things.

Step 2:
Then I lined them up how i wanted them and was careful about keeping them in that order. I plugged in my glue gun and once it was hot, I ran a strip of glue down the seam of the label for each crayon and then placed it across the top of the canvas.

Step 3:
Repeat this until all crayons are glued on the canvas. Once this is complete, put newspaper or garbage bags to cover your work space because the hair dryer will blow some of the wax right off the canvas.

Step 4:
Plug in your hair dryer and turn it to high and hot. Aim it at the middle of the crayon. If you aim it at the bottom, the wax will chunk up. This way, it melts the top and bottom. Once you are satisfied with the look, turn off the hair dryer and let the canvas dry.


After it has dried, hang it up some place and enjoy your melted wax canvas. Its super fun and fairly easy. It definitely makes a cool gift for a friend or younger family member. I have also seen them where they leave a space on one side and write something like "create" or "inspire" on it. Happy Crafting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment