Thursday 14 November 2013

Christmas Gift Idea #2 - DIY "Keep Calm and Drink Wine" Shadow Box

Hey Guys!

So second post of the night! Wahoo! I'm doing pretty good! I'll also be doing other posts on my other blog, The Britt Report, so be sure to go check it out! I'll give you the link below!

http://brittreport.blogspot.ca

Anyway, this is another pretty simple craft. It does take a bit of time so definitely do this one when you have a couple of days to kill. Let's get started! 

Things You Will Need:
- a shadow box (I lucked out and found four of the ones I used at Value Village)
-acrylic paint (in whatever colour you want the box to be and a colour for the lettering)
-a paintbrush
-white plain paper
-a pencil
-clear tape
-Sealer spray
-Scrapbook paper

Step 1:
Paint the shadow box the colour you want it to be. I went with black because, well, I just like how classy and sleek it looks. You may need to do a couple coats.

Step 2:
Once you have let it dry, spray it with a glossy coat. (Make sure you take the glass out first). I would also recommend doing this outside if it's not too cold. The fumes can get pretty bad, even if you're outside.

Step 3:
While you wait for the shadow box to dry, use Microsoft Word or another similar program to make the "Keep Calm and Drink Wine" message. Choose a font and a font size and type it out. Then print it out. (Make sure that you don't make it too big. You need to be able to fit it on your piece of glass)

Step 4:
Once you have printed out the message, take some scotch tape and tape it to the inside of your frame. Then you can either take a washable marker and trace your message or take your small paintbrush and the chosen colour for the wording and start painting. I had to do a few coats on the letters.

Step 5:


Once the message has dried, you can take an object with a sharp edge (ie. exacto knife, your fingernail etc) and just go around the edges to clean them up a bit. Spray it with the sealer.

Step 6:
Once everything has dried, you can put the glass back in the shadow box or you can add some scrapbook paper to it like I did (See the picture to the right!) Just measure the paper to fit into the shadow box and glue it in. (If you want to change the scrapbook paper periodically, I wouldn't recommend gluing it. Taping it will suffice). Once you are done, put the glass back in and Voila! An awesome wall decoration or a gift for someone who likes wine.

Again, I made mine as a Christmas present for someone, but haven't decided who. Hope you enjoyed making this DIY. Send me pics of your creations! I would love you see them. Happy Crafting! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment